May 7, 2011

Thank you for showing me, Mom!





I've been in a bit of a down mood lately and I think I now know why. Tomorrow is Mother's Day, and my Mom just passed away 3 months ago from pancreatic cancer. I brought her from Philly to Florida for her final time. I moved away from home over 20 years ago, so was not physically close to Mom, but for the 9 months I had Mom in my home; we were inseparable and laughed all the time. I had been so boring and regimented in my life; trading foreign currencies, making calculated decisions, always putting things off because I was busy, never paying much attention to the NOW because I was too busy planning for tomorrow ( I was very good at it). My Mother, my teacher, came back into my life for only a short time, but she taught me so many lessons of selflessness and appreciation of today. She loved pretty things and made sure we had beauty all around us in the home. Mom always asked a stranger about their kids, what they liked- all about the other person. Never liked to be center of attention;always putting others first. The staff at Hospice told me that they rarely get a patient as upbeat and wonderful as my Mom. Mom brought sunshine into the Hospice, too. My cousin, Ruth likened my bringing Mom to Florida to the Wizard of Oz movie. Everything started in black and white, then exploded into technicolor when Dorothy got to Oz. She was telling me how I changed Mom's life. I'm here to tell you that my life has blossomed into technicolor since Mom's arrival. Tomorrow is never promised, and today is a gift. Thank you, Mom for your beautiful lesson of love. It has transformed my life into something more wonderful than I could have imagined. I am so blessed and honored to share this gift of realization with others. Thank you, Mom- for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment