May 3, 2011

Love is an action verb

                                                        www.unityportland.org




In the past 9 months of being caretaker for my Mother, she'd often tell me "I know that you love me, because you show me." My words of "I love you" were expressed on a daily basis through actions that were consistent with love. Stopping to buy her favorite danish, listening to a radio station from the 40's, keeping the lawn manicured so she could enjoy outdoors, etc. We all express emotions so differently, but nonetheless, emotions are both felt and expressed. I think that too many people associate the word love with a warm, gushy feeling that builds from within - then stays there (in the heart) until it fades; or is undying and will last the test of all time. I think love is so much more; love is an action verb, a demonstration of my respect,compassion and appreciation of another. Yes, I love you... and you...and you! Love is a beautiful expression of humanity and is demonstrated on so many levels. From a smile given to a stranger, a bouquet sent to a sweetheart, giving a hungry man your last 5 dollars, teaching a child to read rather than simply reading the story to him, silent comfort when appropriate. The list is really endless. My cousin, Ruth always sends cards on anniversaries of loss of a loved one. She said it's a difficult time for the living, and she wants to make sure they know their great loss is remembered and honored. That's love in action! How do you express your love? 

No comments:

Post a Comment