June 22, 2011

You can’t know what the jigsaw is about until you have more pieces!


Recently I attended a drum circle on the beach at sunset and noticed many tattoos and piercings on younger people. Several of the tattoos displayed messages of “pain and suffering” and general negative sayings. The behavior of these individuals was also strikingly in accordance with their body art - that of a negative energy.

I was surprised seeing this group at the drum circle as most people that regularly attend are very positive, spiritual souls. The energy felt as this type of gathering is usually exploding with joy and love. A terrific gathering of like-minded people.

In going about my celebration of drumming and dancing, I couldn’t help but notice this group - their negative ‘billboards’ displayed for all to see, expressing their freedom of a ‘negative‘ outlook on life. Although I didn’t allow myself to focus on this group, to simply observe them, I managed to form a (strong) opinion about them in my mind.

As the evening progressed in celebration, another group of young men with tattoos emerged. My mind immediately found similarities between the first group (negative body art) and this newer group of young men. They were loud and seemed to be celebrating, but my mind coned in on their body art, piercings and explosive behavior. It seemed that I had this group ‘pegged’ from the get-go.

As one of the young men walked near my area, I asked him a question that totally changed the way I viewed him and his friends. I had another piece of his puzzle! “Hey, what does your tattoo say on your back?” His tattoo was scrolled across his upper back in a different language than English. I had assumed that it was just a more visually pleasing way to display his message of ‘something negative.’ After all, many of the other young, inked men were rather clear in their feelings.

What he said actually made my mouth open - mostly in disappointment of my ‘preconceived hastiness.’ He told me it was a saying in Latin; the English translation being: “I shall either find a way or make one.” He went on to tell me he was getting ready to go away to law school and this beach celebration was like a last hurrah.

So there I was, standing on a beautiful beach, among outstanding people, in a fabulous celebration of life - quite confident that I had a good grasp of the situation around me. Not only was I shown otherwise, I was provided with yet, another lesson in humility and acceptance. Reminded of the fact that I do not have all the pieces of everyone’s puzzle and therefore can not possibly know their story.

A gentle nudge from the universe to drop the gavel, and simply observe! Thank you for my lesson. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment